We are adopting two adorable girls who have a little something extra, Down Syndrome!
We are excited to add them to our family.
We will use this blog to update family and friends on our adoption progress and fundraising efforts.
Just joining us? Click on the 2011 posts in the archive to find out why we are adopting the girls.

Day 2: Picking up the girls!! (part 2)

I left Melinda and Alisa at the hotel and left for Hallie's orphanage.  A great day just got better.  Hallie's orphanage is not far from the hotel (maybe 3 miles) but due to the horrible Russian traffic it took us 40 minutes. 

I had brought a slinky on my first trip to Hallie's orphanage and on my 2nd trip they request that I bring more as they had loved them but had searched all of Russia and could not find them.  So on this trip I brought 150 slinkies.  They were so excited!  I also brought gifts and cakes but Hallie's orphanage seems to be more used to adoptions, so there were not parties and celebrations.  Just sign these papers and you may take her! 

One really touching moment was the orphanage director took me to her office and showed me two pictures on her desk.  The first she said was of a little girl who was the first child from their orphanage to be adopted by Americans.  She told me how lovely she was doing in her family.  She was adopted in 1993.  Then she showed me a picture of Hallie on her desk and said that she was the last child to be adopted by Americans and she knows she will do lovely with us too.  This ban is NOT supported by those who actually love and care for these children.  They are just as devastated as us.  It was clear that the orphanage director was truly saddened by the state of things.

After, I was taken back to see Hallie and change her into her winter gear to leave.  She is such a squishable marshmallow that it actually really hard to dress her.  Then trying to carry her with snow gear on is nearly impossible!  But look how cute she looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment